Half & Half- Tung Oil & Citrus Solvent
A perfect blend of Pure Tung Oil and natural, food grade thinner. One part Pure Tung Oil mixed to one part Pine Oil. Most projects require the thick viscosity of Pure Tung Oil to be thinned in order to soak into surface. This is the perfect ratio for small to large projects. Leave the mixing to us!
Due to global shortage, high cost and demand for pure Citrus Solvent, we have made a switch to the Tung Oil/Pine Oil blend for the Half & Half.
This is pre-mixed Pure Tung Oil and Pine Oil from the Real Milk Paint Co.
The Pine Oil used in this product is food contact safe, much like citrus oils from the skin of lemons, oranges, lime, and grapefruit. The Pine Oil is derived from the needles and fine branches of the pine tree. The Pine Oil evaporates into the air. Any time you crush and smell a plant you smell the evaporative oils, this is why there is a pine scent to this product.
We found that is most cases the Pure Tung Oil is too thick to penetrate most surfaces. Thinning with a natural solvent helps the oil penetrate deeper in the material. The 1 to 1 or Half & Half ratio works great all around for most surfaces like new raw wood, butcher block counter tops, concrete, terra cotta clay pots, stone, and slate. Generally, 3 to 5 coats are needed to seal and water proof. This all natural finish does take 7 to 10 days to develop a water resistance and a full 30 days for a complete cure. This finish is also safe for a food contact surface. For dense hardwoods such as Teak, Ipe, Rosewood, and Mesquite a 2 part Citrus Solvent to 1 part Pure Tung oil is recommended. This is easy made when you purchase a 32 oz of Half & Half just add a 16 oz of Citrus Solvent to your purchase. However, most woods do not need a thinner variant of Tung Oil than what is provided by the Half & Half. A quick way to see the color of your surface before oiling is to just wet with water. The way it looks wet but not glossy is the color you have when the oil is dry! Can be mixed with any other of our Tung Oil Products (i.e. Pure Tung Oil, Dark Tung Oil, Dark Half, Outdoor Defense Oil)
- Pint – 16 oz. covers 50 sq. feet
- Quart – 32 oz. covers 100 sq. feet
- Gallon – covers 400 sq. feet
Example: 1 Gallon will do 1 coat on a 400 sq. foot surface.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- The surface should be dusted to remove all loose particles.
- Any wood filling or wood staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Using the Pure Tung Oil straight from the bottle would only be for the most thirsty surfaces like old weathered wood, 100 year old wood floors that were never finished or concrete.
- The first coat of thinned tung oil should be a liberal one.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush, sponge brush, or a thin foam roller.
- Allow this coat to sit for a minimum of 40 minutes so the oil can soak in. When it soaks into the wood, apply another coat immediately. Continue to apply coats, one after another, until the wood/concrete is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes up to 1½ hours. If eighty percent of area stays glossy, the wood cells are saturated and this can be considered your final coat.
- Now, wipe down the surface with clean rag material removing any excess oil that is on the surface. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Do not allow standing oil on the surface overnight. Any standing or puddles of oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- After allowing the oil to soak overnight, apply one more coat to the surface the next day. Let this sit for a minimum of 40 minutes, but no more than 2 hours. Wipe up any oil that has not soaked in. Now the tung oil will be in its curing stage.
- Hang oil soaked rags up separately to dry. For woods with very dense pores like Teak wood, thin with two parts Citrus Solvent to one part oil will help it absorb better for every coat.
- Half & Half will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
- Do not sand between coats of tung oil. This is an application technique for tung oil varnishes, not pure tung oil.
- Tung oil can be applied pure to very porous surfaces. Half & Half is a thinned, non-toxic Pure Tung Oil mix with Pine Oil.
- Do not use the “Green” thinners now being sold. They contain water and will not mix with the oil.
- Remember by adding petroleum mineral spirits or other thinners, the oil may become toxic with these substances mixed into it, although the finish produced is not toxic because the thinners evaporate.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. One to two coats are enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. For surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling need a minimum of three and on up to six coats for maximum protection.
- Apply till the surface reaches the saturation point. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and/or maintenance coats are thinly applied with cheese cloth, lint free cloths (old bed sheets work well), or old t-shirt material on an as need be basis. A two parts solvent to one part tung oil mixture is recommended for maintenance coats.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- The Pure Tung Oil contained in Half & Half will be in the wood up to the surface not on the wood surface like varnish or Polyurethane top coat. The end result is more like seasoning a cast iron pan. This product will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills: water will bead on the surface.
- After the tung oil as completely cured (minimum 30 days) cleaning of the surface can be done using hot water and mild soap, such as dish soap. Avoid using hard chemicals or acids for cleaning.